Saturday, March 31, 2012

Floating Islands, and Computer Trouble

Hi all,

  Today was a travel day, and I spent a good portion of it being somewhat uncomfortable on a bus.  I went from Copacabana,  Bolivia,  to Puna,  Peru.  Much of the trip was fine,  the border crossing was fairly easy,  even if our bus driver did lie to us about where we could and could not exchange money.  (I have no doubt he was getting kickbacks from the single exchange place we were all funneled to).  In Puna I signed up for a tour of the floating islands,  but by that time was cranky from not having had enough food.  I found myself pretty angry that while on the tour one of the guides tried to hit us all up for an additional 10 Peruvian Soles,  having already paid 20 Soles to go on the trip,  and refused to pay.  The rest of the trip was a tiny bit about education about the islands (conducted almost entirely in Spanish),  and a lot of opportunities for us to buy handmade crafts and food while there at inflated prices.  Cranky.

  I made it to my hostel ok,  and booked a bus for tomorrow to Cuzco,  which will be an even longer trip,  and I have to get up at 5:30am to meet my driver at 6:30am.  Not looking forward to that either.

  The highlight of my day was having dinner with a great couple from England.  We went to a restaurant that they'd been meaning to go to for a while in order to eat the Guinea Pig dish.  He ordered it,  it was heavily cooked in garlic,  and quite stringy,  but I tried some,  and it was not too bad to eat. 

  Ok.  Last thing,  I am having a lot of problems with my computer,  the hard drive seems to be slowly failing,  probably due to the altitude.  I don't think I'll be able to post any more photos for the rest of the trip,  but will do my best to add them in as separate blog posts later once I'm back in Seattle,  sometime after Apr 7.  Blog posts themselves will probably be a bit sparse until then as well. 

  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment