Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Island Exploration

Not much to post today.  I spent the morning doing laundry,  and the afternoon I rented a car and drove around as much of the island as I could.  Turns out it's a bigger island than I thought,  although,  it still is a pretty small island.  I walked around on the rocky,  rough north shore of the island,  then found a small beach which nearly no one on it.  The beach didn't look that great, but I decided to give it a shot.  I hopped in the water and swam around for a while.  Very nice.  After I got out,  I didn't have enough time to scope out other beaches for a good sunset,  so I decided to stay there. 



As sunset approached,  I just patiently waited to see what would reveal itself,  and after a while noticed the boats on the shore,  a few trees,  and a small hut.  After doing a few test shoots,  I decided to focus on the boats.  Here for your consideration,  three variations on this evening's sunset in the tropics.

After the sunset concluded,  I walked across the street to a small outdoor grill and restaurant.  I'm figuring out that the beef sate on this island is usually excellent,  and tonight was no exception.  It continues to be odd to me that I can be on a small Carribean island and find a restaurant that has the flag of Friesland displayed,  and blue and white delft tiles in the bathroom that depict typical Dutch scenes,  windmills,  narrow tall houses,  and windswept Dutch children traditionally dressed on the shore with wooden shoes.



5 comments:

  1. The third picture with the 3 boats, the couple holding hands, and the sunset is pretty great composition. Did you have to convince them to go out and hold hands for you? ;->

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't. They just happened to be there. I was actually photographing the single boat when they walked into the water, and I was ignoring them until the other guy on the beach who was photographing the sunset ended up in front of me, and in order to get his shot, put his beer down on the boat in front of me. I don't think he realized what I was shooting at all. :) I was going to ask him to move it, but instead I went back to the location with the 3 boats, and then started noticing the two girls in the water. I shot a bunch of them, and although they look like they're holding hands here, I think that they were really just passing a camera from one to the other. Either way, works for me. :) I was, I think, extremely lucky with that shot.

      Delete
    2. I'm using a 2 stop GND filter on all of these as well, which is how I can bring out the light on the bottom portion of the frames. Otherwise, these are straight out of the camera. My little netbook that I have while traveling does not quite have the power to run photo editing software at all effectively. :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE the first shot - sun glinting on the boat rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I like that one a lot too...although, I like all of the. :)

      Delete