Sunday, April 1, 2012

Puno to Cuzco, Peru

Today was another travel day, and I'm beginning to realize the wisdom of my approach earlier in the trip of spacing out travel days with days I can just relax and hang out in a new location.  9 hours on a bus today was not the most pleasant thing I've ever done,  however,  I had chosen to take the "tourist" bus from Puno to Cuzco,  which involved stopping at a number of places and learning a bit about the history of the Cuzco valley. 

Because it is a week before Easter,  churches here are celebrating the triumphant entry of Jesus into Jerusalem.  We came across one of these churches today,  and people in Peru are not unhappy with getting their photos taken,  unlike the Bolivians I encountered.  I of course asked first before shooting any of these,  I always try to be respectful when photographing people.

As we crossed over the highest point in the valley we were traveling through (about 4500m),  we stopped at an Andean market.  Once we moved beyond this,  the vegetation began to change dramatically.  We entered a much wetter part of the valley,  and trees began to appear, along with some threatening grey clouds.  By the time we arrived in Cuzco,  there had definitely been some rain,  and it has been raining off and on since then as well.  I'm hoping my trip to Machu Picchu in the next few days has good weather, but if it doesn't,  I'll make do with what I have.

In the interest of trying new foods,  I ate llama for lunch today.  Delicious!  Much better than the Guinea Pig from yesterday. 

After getting into Cuzco and getting successfully checked in to my hostel,  I went to a travel agency that was recommended to me by the British couple I met in Puno,  and got my travel plans for the next few days.  Tomorrow night I'll be in Aguas Calientes,  getting up early in the morning to see Machu Picchu,  and returning to Cuzco tomorrow night.  The time that I fly back to Seattle is drawing ever nearer.

One last thing.  My room is at the very top of a narrow spiral staircase.  I hope I don't have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.  Navigating my way down those stairs in flipflops seems like it would be a major disaster.




Jacques making new llama and alpaca friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment